An Essential Service
Like many businesses around the globe KSP Fulfillment has continued to weather the impact of the COVID-19 global pandemic. As an essential service, KSP has kept its doors open and employees safe by following guidelines set by the Center for Disease Control (CDC), the World Health Organization (WHO), Department of Human Services (DHS) and other local, state, and federal guidance.
A Safe Environment
As our most important asset, KSP is committed to providing a safe environment for our employees and providing necessary facility safety such as touch-free soap dispensers, lights, paper towel dispensers, social distancing, information and signage, and an abundance of hand sanitizer.
KSP Fulfillment recognizes that our current and future customers place a great deal of trust in us as their business partner and supply chain. Our approach has been to share information about COVID-19 with our employees, providing literature and reminding them of proper & effective handwashing, social distancing, and disinfecting of the workplace and equipment. In addition, should any of our employees show any signs of illness, we are urging them to seek medical attention and testing.
This past year we have spent a significant amount of time cross training our employees as part of our core value of continuous improvement. The cross training, compartmentalized nature of our daily operation, staggered shifts, capability to quickly increase and train additional temporary staffing, and preventive measures focusing on the safety of our employees reinforces our ability to continue to operate even during times of crisis.
Our role is critical. We are taking every precaution to safeguard our employees so service to our customers is not interrupted.
We will continue to closely monitor and adhere to preventative steps and guidelines issued by the CDC, WHO, DHS, and other local, state, and federal agencies during this pandemic.
Example Controls to Prevent the Spread of COVID-19 in Work Environments:
Facilities and Equipment
- Assess job hazards for feasibility of controls
- Ensure ventilation and water systems operate properly
- Alter workspaces to maintain social distancing. Examples include:
- Configure partitions as a barrier shield
- Use verbal announcements, signage, and visual cues to promote social distancing
- Remove/rearrange furniture
- Provide remote alternatives (e.g., delivery, pick-up)
Management and Communications
- Monitor state and local public health communications about COVID-19
- Encourage sick workers to report symptoms, stay home, and follow CDC guidance
- Develop strategies to:
- Manage worker concerns
- Communicate with workers
- Remind workers of available support services
- Communicate to partners, suppliers, other contractors on policies and practices
- Encourage social distancing and the use of cloth face coverings in the workplace
- Use technology to promote social distancing (e.g., telework and virtual meetings)
- Cancel group events
- Close/limit use of shared spaces
- Ask customers who are ill to stay home
Cleaning and Disinfection
- Clean and disinfect frequently touched surfaces, (e.g., counters, shelving, displays)
- Provide employees with disposable disinfectant wipes, cleaner, or sprays that are effective against the virus that causes COVID-19
Provide employees with training on:
- Policies to reduce the spread of COVID-19
- General hygiene
- Symptoms, what to do if sick
- Cleaning and disinfection
- Cloth face covers
- Social distancing
- Use of PPE
- Safe work practices
- Stress management
- Conduct workplace hazard assessment
- Determine what PPE is needed for their workers’ specific job duties based on hazards and other controls present
- Select and provide appropriate PPE to the workers at no cost
Written By: Rob Walters
Rob is the CEO & Partner of KSP Fulfillment, a Verified Veteran Owned Business, and has over 35-years of logistics experience. He is a Lean Six Sigma Black Belt and holds a Bachelor’s degree in Psychology and a Master’s degree in Industrial/Organizational Psychology. Rob has a passion for continuous improvement and providing 3PL services to businesses to customers around the world.
Ready to outsource, but not sure where to start? We can answer your questions.